It has been amazing to see my blog grow so much over the past year, and with growth has come lots of new reader-friends! I have gotten to meet (both virtually and in person!) so many incredible bloggers in recent months, and this is absolutely one of my favorite parts of blogging. Getting to know the incredible women behind the blogs that I love to read is such a treat.
Since we're all friends here, I thought that I would mix things up a little bit for today's post and share 10 facts that you might not know about yours truly!
|Photo credit: Meredith Sledge Photography|
1. I've had a recent change in career goals: Ever since I was young, my dream career was always to work in radio broadcasting. After I went to college, that dream started to become a reality. During my freshman year at my former college, I spent the whole year as a student volunteer in the school's radio station, and even got to host my own show in the spring semester. Since I've been in the city, I was an intern for four semesters at Charlotte's location of the Ryan Seacrest Foundation (which places radio stations in children's hospitals). I absolutely loved all of the internship experience that I had in the field during the time that I've been in school, and I truly thought that's what I wanted to do with the rest of my life.
However, with graduation steadily approaching, I have started to realize in recent months that I have different career goals for myself following college. My passions lie within blogging, social media, event planning, promotions, and possibly even hospitality or tourism. The city of Charlotte (and the South in general) are huge loves of mine as well. If I can find some sort of a communications job that can combine all of these things, then I would be so thrilled! I also do wonder if I will move to another city in the South after graduation, to work in a job something like what I described above. I have pretty much ruled out ever moving home to Maine at this point (God willing! Haha.)
2. Independently extroverted. I like to call myself an independent extrovert. I am fiercely independent (going to college so far from home has absolutely contributed to this), but at the same time, I hate being alone for too long. I thrive off of time spent with others.
3. The #1 way to make my day: For me to hear a favorite throwback song on the radio. Seriously! Let me be surfing the channels in the car and come across some *NSYNC or an old Britney track, and I'll be a happy camper for the rest of the day.
4. I'm constantly on a quest for cheap gas: Whenever it comes time to fill-up my tank, I'm always on the hunt for the cheapest gas in the area! The GasBuddy app is my BFF, and I'm known to drive quite long distances for a few cents difference in gas prices. A fun fact about the Charlotte area: in South Carolina, which is just a few miles south, gas taxes are much different so gas prices can range from .20-.50 cheaper! My friends know me as the girl who ventures quite far into South Carolina to find the cheapest gas around.
5. Lightest sleeper on earth: I am one of the lightest sleepers that you will ever meet. I sleep (and travel with) a white noise machine, and during most semesters in college when I had roommates I had to sleep with earplugs.
6. I'm a huge makeup junkie: This is something that I don't actually blog about that often, but hope to change in 2016! I am kind of makeup obsessed. I never feel like my day has fully started or like I can hit the full extent of my productivity until I've done my face each morning! I love buying makeup, experimenting with new looks, and watching tutorials. I have certain holy grail products (such as this and this) which I've been loyal to for years, but I'm always up for trying new items as well!
Later this year, I hope to either shoot or record some makeup and hair tutorials for my blog! The reason that I've waited so long to do this is because all of the dorms that I've lived in during college have had the worst lighting ever. That's why I barely even take photos for Instagram in my room this year, much less shoot a tutorial! (Sad but the truth- ha!)
7. I'm still rocking a dying iPhone 5S: I was one of the first to get the 5S back in 2013... in fact I preordered it before it came out! However, two and a half years later and I'm still with the same phone. Everyday I get a minimum of three different notifications telling me that my storage is just about full, but my faithful phone hasn't crashed and burned yet! My goal is to try and make the poor thing last until the next iPhone (7?) comes out this fall!
8. Give me some goofy comedies: I much prefer TV shows to movies, but I am picky about the types of TV shows that I'll get hooked on. More often then not, they're comedies. Three of my absolute favorite shows are That 70s Show, How I Met Your Mother, and The Big Bang Theory. Give me shows like these over something scary or dramatic any day!
9. I am the opposite of a neat freak: Something that people often say they're surprised to learn about me is how messy I am. It's something that I've been trying to work on this year, especially with adulthood and having an apartment coming up in my near future. But I still have a long ways to go for improvement! I've been messy since as long as I can remember. I hate making my bed, and more often then not I throw stuff on my floor. I am however a nut about keeping my clothing neat and organized, and I never leave old food out (some college students do that and it just disgusts me to no end! HOW?!).
10. The craziest thing I've ever done... is a tie between going swimming in a cave or kissing a frog! (...Techincally it was a toad- I was elementary school aged at a friend's birthday party and did it on a dare.)
Do we share anything in common? :-) Leave me a comment letting me know a fun fact about you!
Have a wonderful weekend! Here in Charlotte we are actually getting snow and ice this weekend... not quite sure how I feel about that yet!
xoxo Miss ALK
P.S. Be sure to check out the new "Currently Craving" widget at the top of my blog! I'm sharing some of my favorite early spring fashion picks, including this bag (which I am totally dying over- can't get over that beautiful color!), and this pretty dress- how perfect would this be for my graduation dress?!